If you are looking for a simple, tasty recipe to whip up a quick chicken salad sandwich, but you’d rather not succumb to the fats in mayonnaise, this amazing avocado chicken salad recipe is a great healthy alternative.
There is an unusual ingredient in this chicken salad — apple. The apple adds both sweet and tart flavors, plus it gives it a little crunch.
Avocado is a great replacement of the fat in mayonnaise, but you’ll still need seasoning. Check out the ingredients and instructions below to see what else you’ll be adding to this yummy snack!
Avocado Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled (see How to Cut and Peel an Avocado)
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or a tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Sandwich bread or salad greens
1 Place the chicken, avocado, apple, celery, and red onion in a medium bowl. Gently mash the avocado with a fork and stir it around so that everything gets well mixed.
2 Add the cilantro or parsley, lime juice or lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add more lime juice or salt to taste. If the mixture seems a little dry, you can stir in a teaspoon or two of olive oil.
To store, place in a bowl and cover completely with plastic wrap so that no part of the chicken salad is exposed to air. Will keep a couple of days in the fridge.
Serve on sandwich bread, toasted bread, or salad greens (I recommend arugula or watercress for extra zing).